Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First workout review-scale #

Today the scale read one pound less than yesterday. Last night was the first workout in Guts and Butts with Randal. It wasn't a lot of cardio which was good so I didn't get so winded. It was a lot of leg work, mine kept cramping up, and some crunches. Not as many crunches as leg stuff, but a lot of the stuff we did I can totally do at home in between workouts. I'm not sore yet today, but I can feel it, so I know I will be later this afternoon and tomorrow. The entire time we were working out I kept thinking to myself how heavy I was. It was hard not too when you have to support your weight with your arms or legs during the workout. I told myself that I would not give up because it was my own fault and that I didn't put the weight on overnight, so I wasn't going to wake up skinny this morning! I mentioned to my husband I wanted to go to the gym tonight after work. He said he had an appt but would absolutely modify his schedule because he is excited to see me taking the steps to get healthy. How wonderful is he?? I am so lucky to have so much support at home, not to mention my sister Shelia. Even my son Gavyn, who's only 8, is very supportive. Last night he asked me to go on a bike ride. I had to decline because my legs still felt like jello an hour after the class. I knew I would need something to eat for fuel prior to the class. I had an apple with some peanut butter. I asked Randal after class what I could eat so I wouldn't ruin my good all-day eating and the workout. He told me post-workout should be post cereal; Raisin bran to be exact. So my friend and I went together to support each other in only buying a box of cereal. When I got home and fixed some cereal, my son Gryffen (who will be 5 next week), looked at the box and told me it was good because it had the food pyramid on it. He even told me what the colors meant on the food pyramid; like yellow is oils. I was so proud of him. Why is it that an almost 5 year old gets it and a 35 year old struggles? I made sure to drink a lot of water while I was having my cereal so I felt full and wouldn't want to dig in the cupboard. It worked! Randal made an example of me after the class as to what you should be eating before the class. He said what I ate was exactly right and told the other women they should do the same. There were 9 women last night, ranging in age from about 25-45. I was not the youngest or the oldest, and a bunch of the group looks to be about my size. There was one lady who is a former smoker and has taken Randal's bootcamp class before. She has a really flat stomach, so there's proof it works I guess. I got in about 48 oz of water yesterday only, which is about 1/2 of what I should be drinking. I decided that 10 am is the coffee cut-off time for me. Today I had malt-o-meal for breakfast. I have a jello cup for a snack today, along with an apple and some grapes. I am going to have the apple with peanut butter this afternoon before going to the gym for my protein. I went to grab some carrots and celery from the fridge this morning, but they were moldy (there goes about $4 worth of groceries again). I need to get some veggies so I don't eat so much fruit for snacks because it is high in natural sugar, still better than candy or something, but I've got to watch the sugar too. I brought a ham sandwich on lite bread for lunch with some pretzel sticks. I wonder about the carb thing for me; you know like Shelia has. She says she gets crabby without carbs. I didn't have any yesterday and by the time I went to bed I was so crabby. I wonder if it isn't because of the no-carbs? I was getting annoyed at the littlest things, but I held strong, stayed out of the kitchen, showered and went to bed. I gotta say, it felt so good. I ate well, exercised and got to bed early! One day down, ??? many more to go.

2 comments:

  1. Good for your Sheryl! It sounds like you had a very successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, I am impressed that you didn't just grab something"small" from the cupboard. I really think there is something with the carbs, I need to figure out a balance for them for me. I do think a key thing is snacking and eating small meals frequently and not waiting so long to eat something, like today for me, I will blog about it. I love PB but don't eat it, when I was doing WW if I ate PB, that was the week that I didn't lose, so I figured it was from that and stopped eating it. Maybe I will try it again with soem apples. Do you get the low fat or natural stuff? Good job, I am so proud of you and you say that you are going to the gym tonight as well. Once it becomes routine you will start to "love" it even more, if that is possible. Until tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete